A few weeks ago, I wrote about going back to the basics both in the gym and life. Ironically, I realized that I could take my own advice a little better! After auditing my goals, efforts and results I’ve made a huge change to 2019. I went from 25 goals for the year down to 5. What happened next was amazing.
- I was immediately relieved after seeing a list of goals that was actually attainable. The list of 25 goals completely overwhelmed me!
- With a shorter list of goals, I was able to put consistent effort into achieving them all and not freak out about where to start!
- My confidence in my abilities skyrocketed knowing that I can definitely accomplish the goals I’ve set for myself within the year.
While starting the year with goals is fantastic, many of us don’t look at them again until the year is over. This is a big mistake as we don’t have a system for assessing and course-correcting our efforts throughout the year. June is almost upon us, meaning the year is almost halfway over… Are you halfway towards achieving your goals? If you started early in the year but have fallen off, now is the time to realign and get back on track. Failing to make progress typically occurs because of two factors:
- Inaction: If you’re not putting in the work, you won’t get where you want to be. Take a hard look and ask yourself if you’re doing what it takes.
- Lack of planning/inconsistency: If you don’t have a plan or system in place, how do you know you’re making progress? This in combination with consistency are the best ways to hold us accountable to our goals and the process.
I’m going to level with you and hold myself accountable right here in this blog. Below are my 5 goals for 2019 and their current status.
- Earn the StrongFirst SFGI Certification. This is the most important goal for me this year as it will help me grow and become a better coach. I’ve been training with my Coach Sean (who is SFGI) twice a week to prepare. We’ve been focusing only on learning and practicing the movements to prepare me for the certification course. I’ll be registering for the September course soon!
- Deadlift 425. This goal is secondary to SFGI to ensure I don’t overtrain. After SFGI in September I’m going to take what I’ve learned and ramp up my deadlifting to hit 425 by Christmas.
- Get Honey Bear certified as a Therapy Dog. This goal falls into my “contribution” bucket as once Nano’s certified I plan to start a program in the future. I’ve found a dog trainer, all I need to do is schedule the consultation and start the process!
- Listen to every episode of the Renegade Radio Podcast, hosted by Jay Ferruggia. I started on episode 279 and am now on episode 127 so I’m making pretty good progress! Also, on a side-note: This is a must-listen for every trainer and/or entrepreneur out there!
- “The Adventures of Nano Bite.” This is a fun project Honey Bear and I are working on. It’s still in its infant stage, we’ll be moving forward with it once she’s a certified Therapy Dog. More fun details to come!
The time to act is now. Take a look at the goals you’ve set for 2019. Focus on the essentials, take daily steps and move the chains. Focus on first-downs, and I promise you the touchdowns will come.
To your lifelong health and success,
-Demarco Crum, CPT